DSM USA is the regional identifier for Greater Des Moines (DSM). #DSMUSA is a bold statement to the world: The region is welcoming, diverse and vibrant with affordable and accessible amenities for residents and businesses.
- #5 Best Place for Business and Careers — Forbes, 2017
- #1 Best Affordable Place to Live in the U.S. — U.S. News & World Report, 2017
- #1 Best Place for Millennials to Live in the Midwest — Growella, 2017
- “World Festival and Event City — International Festivals and Events Association, 2017
- More rankings
- The cost of doing business in DSM is 15 percent lower than that of the nation as a whole according to Moody’s Analytics.
- For DSM residents, it is typical to find combined cost of living savings 10 percent below the national average according to the Council for Community and Economic Research.
- More stats
/ Key Industries
- The region is dubbed the Cultivation Corridor because of the high concentration of agriculture and biotech companies.
- DSM is an insurance and financial services hub, with more than 80 insurance companies located in the region and the highest concentration of employment in insurance and financial services in the U.S.
- With a presence from Apple, Facebook, Microsoft and others, DSM is a data center hub and one of the Top 10 locations for data center nationally, according to CBRE. Low cost of energy and a high amount of renewable energy are key factors in the region’s ability to attract data center projects.
- Advanced Manufacturing: DSM employs 46,924 trained production workers. From agriculture and biotechnology to automotive and information technology, advanced manufacturing is the region's largest industry.
- Logistics: In Greater Des Moines (DSM), distribution centers and warehouses have access to prime real estate right next to Interstates 80 and 35 and a number of active railroads with full-time switching service.
- More on key industries
/ Major employers
- Wells Fargo & Co.
- UnityPoint Health – Des Moines
- Hy-Vee Inc.
- More on major employers